Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Creative Critical Reflection Rough Draft #3

How did your production skills develop with this project?

Throughout the filming process of our extract, we encountered a series of difficulties during the process. To begin with, initially Marin and I were in a predicament about what genre of film we would produce. Marin was favorable of a comedic film, as she enjoys silly movies that make her laugh. Now, while I didn't completely hate this idea, I did not want to make a comedy film as I knew that sometimes teen actors trying to be funny and teen audiences do not mix well. While Marin agreed with my reasoning, however she argued that while some comedy films are viewed as "trying to hard", ours would portray natural comedy and cause our audiences to laugh and relate to the film. I then suggested we do a romantic film because I believe that everyone can enjoy a cute love story about high school sweethearts. By following a conventional story of a high school cheerleader and the football star, we could get our audiences to relate to the teen aspect  of the film as well as get a cute reaction. Unfortunately, Marin was not a huge supporter of this idea, mainly due to the fact that she felt it would lack interest and bore our audiences.  However, after a small discussion of arguing our reasoning that our film idea was the better option, we decided to combine the two ideas, creating a popular movie genre: a romantic comedy. By doing this, we could incorporate the comedic aspect and appeal to our audiences humorous side, appeasing Marin, also employing a romantic aspect to add to the quaint pleasantness of the film, compromising with my ideas as well. Additionally, this issue aided in Marin and I's problem solving and collaboration skills which is important when two or more people are working together to create a film.

While beginning the filming process, Marin and I quickly discovered the difficulties within deciding film times that would accommodate everyone within the cast as well as Marin and I's schedules. As many of the cast members were part of our at the time school production, Radium Girls, where Andrew, Pipa, Lily, Liam, and myself has major roles and had to commit large amounts of time to rehearsals, we struggled to find times where we could film with everyone there. Not only this, Mary Margaret is a cheerleader for our school and their practices are just as demanding as ours. This resulted in lots of frustration from Marin and I. However, as I have a class with a few of my cast members, I did a majority of the filming there and saved the rest for the short time window right after school and before rehearsal. This advanced my time management skills and directors need to be flexible with their actors and their availability and know how to work around their schedules while still being productive.

Additionally, within the process of film making, I had many opportunities to gain experience with using a camera and film editing. When we began, I little to no experience with either of those. However, this quickly changed as Andrew, a lead role in our film, is very interested in art and photography. He helped me figure out the best angles to go with lighting as well as some useful editing techniques such as how to increase the volume within the film and much more. On our finalized film version, this was especially helpful as we recorded voice overs on certain lines that  were not easily heard and making sure they could be. This along with everything else I learned truly gave me an appreciation and understanding of what goes into the filming process. While filming on location, I discovered how cast members build their characters without a live audience which looked difficult yet was fascinating to me as that is all I know how to do.  Overall, during the production of our film, I strengthened and further developed my skills as a director and actor during the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quarter Four Final Submission